Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos
- 5 lbs pork shoulder
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp mexican oregano
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp cholula hot sauce (or equivalent)
- 3-4 limes
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cold 12 oz cans Lone Star beer (or equivalent)
- 1/2 cup hot salsa
- Dozen tortillas (typically corn)
- Small bunch of fresh cilantro
- A small round of queso fresco
- Probably should just go ahead and pickup a whole case of Lone Star. Lots of sportsball to watch.
- Open one of the cans of Lone Star and start drinking it
- Put the pork shoulder in your slow cooker
- Peel + chop the garlic and toss on top of the pork shoulder
- Sprinkle the pork with salt, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, oregano, cinnamon and cayenne
- Rub the garlic and spices into the pork shoulder and let sit just a bit
- Squeeze the juice of two of your limes on the pork
- Open the other can of Lone Star and pour it over the pork
- Pour the orange juice and salsa over the pork
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours
- Shred the pork with fork in the slow cooker. Or you can take it out to shred, but put it back in after and let it soak a bit.
- Preheat broiler. Cover a cookie sheet w/ foil
- Spread the shredded pork out on the sheet. Spoon some of the juice across all that
- Broil for 5-10 minutes or until the edges of the pork are slightly browned and crisped. Don't try it out y'all but you want those crunchy edges.
- Put that carnitas on some tortillas and top with the cilantro, crumbled queso fresco, a small squeeze from a lime and maybe some green salsa. Avocado ain't bad neither.
- Invite some friends over, you got plenty
Gonna look something like this:
What you see on top there is HEB That Green Sauce.
The carnitas will be better on the second day as is the truth with most slow cooker recipes. This recipe is adapted to be a bit spicier from Pinch of Yum. Those people blog for a living so go click their ads and stuff.