You are the co-founder of a digital product studio called Postlight.
You publish a newsletter so that, when it is time to hire a digital product studio, people think of your company and send you emails.
It's time to write the newsletter.
- [[Um, maybe check email instead|Check email]]
- [[Okay let's do it.|Open up Medium.com]]
Your email inbox is kind of a catastrophe. It looks like this:
- [[Q4 Financials|SomeEmail]]
- [[A Horrible Situation|SomeEmail]]
- [[Just checking in|SomeEmail]]
- [[Mentorship needed URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!|SomeEmail]]
- [[Can I schedule six lunches next week?|SomeEmail]]
- [[No more pants in your size|SomeEmail]]
- [[and 60,000 more emails|SomeEmail]]
You need an idea.
- [[Browse some websites]]
- [[Ask Rich for advice]]
- [[Check your big list of article ideas]]
You open the email but you're not going to deal with that now.
Ulgh. You should really just get the newsletter done. It's time to [[Open up Medium.com]] and just get to work. There's no other option unless someone comes by and asks for a meeting.
No one comes by.
You browse some websites. One of them is Hacker News. You try to extract themes.
"Centralization?" you think.
"Maybe some culture stuff?"
"Or a link roundup."
You start a few posts. But after a few sentences all of them seem bad.
[[Give up|Open up Medium.com]]
Your co-founder Rich Ziade stares at his computer, then opens up TechMeme.
"Hmm," he says. "What about...how hard it is to write a newsletter post? Or something about Apple?"
[[Turn away shaking your head|Open up Medium.com]]
Wow. Your ideas are terrible. These are all garbage.
But right below the big list there's a single line: "Make a Twine game."
And then you remember how you were messing with Twine and the thoughts you had a few weeks ago.
[[Ah, Twine. That's a good subject.|Write Twine Game]]
You write a Twine game about writing a Twine game to support the newsletter. You did it!
- [[Go to all your meetings, go home, and do it again|Good Morning]]
- [[Write another newsletter post to get ahead of the game|Open up Medium.com]]