After the rambly last post, I finished up the conversion script to turn the existing data into a set of better, mostly-compliant schema.org files. Almost all the data fits into existing schema structures, albeit with some use of
significantLink, which is a little vaguer than I’d like to be. Google’s tester doesn’t like the
alternateType use, though, which is disappointing, but its crawler will find all the json by crawling the HTML so I guess it’ll do.
The most glaring absence has been that of linking contact and social media information to
Organizations, which is funny because c’mon, it was in FOAF, why didn’t Brickley bring it over. So I did: created an umbrella
Agent to unify
Organization and gave them
holdsAccount properites to contain
OnlineAccounts. At some point I will serve up the modified schemas under the right
@context and see if Google is okay with them.
Aside from that, everything validates, and I have a
Blogs that have
SocialMediaPostings under them, which contain
ImageObjects, are attributed to an
publisher and a
author. Next step, since having a Google Calendar widget on every page has really weighed the existing structure down, plus I got tired of synchronizing Google and Facebook, has been to write a little thing that converts Facebook events to schema.org
With that done, now I’m working on updating my templates to agree with the new structures, and then it can build the live site directly.