30 November 2014
After racking my brains for a way to build a static version of a website, I realized that I was planning to put the static pages in the exact same place as the dynamically generated ones, so I didn't have to deal with rewriting URLs - wget would work just fine.
Then I read the friendly manual and realized if I did need to rewrite URLs, wget does that too.
Geez louise. I don't know why I remember this being such a complicated thing back when. At first I thought maybe it was because that was before I had Unix shell access, but then I realized, no, that would have been pre-web. Mostly. Anyway, maybe I'm completely misremembering what I did back then, but at any rate the monster WordPress archive is now static-ified so I can start a new blog (WP or whatever, still haven't decided) without breaking all the old stuff.
The LibraryBox has a really primitive website, relying on straight-up webserver indexes for the download directories. The complaint people have is that those don't scale down for phone screens, so I figure I'll make a really simple directory-page builder. Been awhile since I've done anything with website design, apart from tweaking WordPress templates here and there, so I checked out the state of that. Realized webfonts are neat, but they make it hard to find any frameworks or templates that don't use them these days. Leaving aside all the issues of a dependency on a site you don't control, pay for, or have any input on the reliability of... webfonts aren't gonna be there for a LibraryBox.
Speaking of things that assume an always-there Internet connection: I was trying to think of a way to have some kind of community discussion platform. There's really nothing modern that has the ability to batch-transfer messages from one site to another, so I'm thinking something tildish: Usenet, or maybe Fidonet.